Friday, March 21, 2014

A Meatless Meal for a Meatless Friday

Here we are, another Friday in Lent.  This means another meatless meal for our family.  Oh how I wish I could have used the smoker on this warm Iowa day, but I couldn't.  But that's okay, I can make a small sacrifice for God.

Tonight I made Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas, based on a recipe I found at allrecipes.com.  I am a huge fan of allrecipes because I can usually find anything I want to make on there and sometimes I stumble across recipes I would not normally even try.  Tonight's meal was one of the times where I found something that I would never try under normal circumstances, but I decided to give it a go to solve a Friday in lent meal conundrum.

I pretty much followed the recipe at the link above as written.  The one change I made is that I added 1 teaspoon (approximately 2 cloves) of garlic.  I am a firm believer in the liberal use of garlic!

After I mixed all the ingredients to make the Quesadilla filling, I had what is pictured to the right.


I know I have to get better at taking food pictures and I really need a better camera.  I will get one at some point, so please bear with me until then.  I then just used a griddle to cook the quesadillas.  Only Amanda and I had Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas.  The kids just had cheese...and they missed out.  The picture below is the finished product.  


I really enjoyed these quesadillas.  I served them with salsa for dipping, which added quite a bit to the flavor.  The Black Bean and Corn mixture is sweet and filling, and the salsa adds a little heat and a little zip.  This will definitely be a regular in the meatless meal rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment