Saturday, March 29, 2014

It's the Little Things...

One of the biggest things I've discovered as I've learned more and more about cooking is...it's the little things.  What do I mean by this?  Well, it's pretty simple...little things that you do will make your food taste better!

A couple of quick examples come to mind.  Whenever I do sandwiches like French Dips or Philly Cheesesteaks, I always butter and toast the buns.  It's not much of an extra step, but it certainly makes those sandwiches taste even better.

Another little thing I do has to do with chicken.  I often precook chicken that I'm then going to dice up to use in a wrap, on a pizza or in a soup or chili.  When I do this, it's usually just a little salt and pepper and then into the oven at 375 for 35 minutes or so.  It's always been pretty good, so I've not worried too much about it.

Earlier this week, we were having chicken wraps, and I decided to put a little more effort into the chicken.  So rather than just baking, I seasoned the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.  While I was seasoning the chicken, I had about 2 tablespoons of olive oil heating in my cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.  I tossed the chicken in and let it cook for 5 minutes per side.  What I ended up with was juicy, flavorful chicken that resulted in the best wraps I've ever made.

So slow down next time you cook something that you make all the time.  Think about something different you can try to make it even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment